Saturday, September 5, 2009

Running Tree

Lemitar, New Mexico

As you can see, from just the right angle, it appears that this massive and ancient cottonwood (it's over 150 ft tall) is running. Heading for the hills. Well, probably more likely towards the river and the relative safety of the Rio Grande.


I'd be running too, if I knew about the fate of my brethren... and thus ultimately mine also.


Somehow, somewhere along the line, a fairly large portion of the bottom of it's trunk split in two and as a result you can look right through the tree.




There's even room for a person inside. I know because I've climbed in there a few times myself.




I hope whatever it appears to be running from never catches it.

Sadly, it's one of the last of many cottonwoods that used to populate this middle Rio Grande flood plain that's now been almost completely cleared for agriculture.





2 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful grand old tree Candice that hopefully survives many, many more years. I'm going to try and do what I can to help protect it.

    Thanks for stopping by, I love what your doing with your blog. You go girl.

    ReplyDelete